AST-1 – Québec – Avalanche skills training level 1
The Avalanche skills training course 1 aims back-country ski, snowshoe or snowmobile proponents willing to learn more on safe habits to adopt when traveling on avalanche terrains. This 2 day training course contains 2 parts : theoretical (in class) and practical (on terrain). This training is based on the most recent knowledge available in the industry. This training is perfectly adapted to people with small or no knowledge or experience.
At the end of this training, the student should be able to :
- Understand the basics of avalanche factors like the formation process and the release process.
- Recognize avalanche terrain
- Know the necessary steps in order to plan and realize a trip on the mountain.
- Use the AvaluatorMC as a tool to make a decision in places where the itinerary is defined according to the Avalanche terrain ratings and where avalanche reports indicate a potential danger.
- Find resources to obtain the terrain ratings when those are not published.
- Find resources to obtain the index of the potential danger of avalanches in the case avalanche bulletins are not available.
- Practice appropriate traveling techniques on avalanche terrain ;
- be able to rescue in an autonomous way
- Understand the limits of the training.